Friday 2-7-10: keeping the empties

At 07:41 the Old Man told me:
“I just put a cut in my hand last night.” He didn’t know how.
Before starting to search for dispersible aspirin, he needed to switch the light on.
I kept having to repeat that he should look for dispersible aspirin.

He found the dispersible aspirin — the time was now 07:50. However, the package of dispersible aspirin was empty. (See the morning sessions of Thursday 1 July 2010.) I told him to look for another package.
He kept offering co-codamol. He found what I suppose he thought was another package of dispersible aspirin, but:
“Big white tablets.” — so presumably co-codamol.
He offered co-codamol again, twice.
Again he found the empty package of dispersible aspirin. I told him to throw it away. (But it soon became clear that he didn’t.) The Old Man said there wasn’t another package of dispersible aspirin. We abandoned that search.
The Old Man was searching for amlodipine. The time was now 08:01.
“I don’t know what I’m doing.”
He found the empty box of dispersible aspirin again [!], and I told him again to throw it away, but he said he had put it onto the cushion of the armchair.
He found the amlodipine, and swallowed a tablet of it at 08:09. This was the first medication he had taken that day!
The Old Man found the levothyroxine quite quickly, and he swallowed a tablet of it. He also found the co-codamol, and swallowed two tablets of that.
He clarified that he had not cut but had scraped the back of his hand.
He had enough bread and milk until Saturday.
Our phone-call ended at 08:19.

When I phoned the Old Man at 18:50 he said he was hungry. He sounded sleepy or faint.
I phoned again at 19:58. There was no response. The Old Man eventually answered the phone at 20:05. We paused while he took a drink of water.
When I told him to look for the blue-top and red-top bottles, at first he didn’t understand, and then it clicked.
I described the capsule and tablet he needed to get out of the two bottles.
“That’s exactly what I’ve got,” he replied. It sounded as though he didn’t have his false teeth in.
He found the simvastatin, and swallowed one.
We moved on to the ferrous sulphate. (The problem with ferrous sulphate may be that he cannot make out the name of the tablet when I say it.)
“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
“Serrous…” (again!)
I got him to go through the items in the evening box. He found the co-codamol, and he swallowed one.
“That’s my first tablet [!],” he said when he’d swallowed the co-codamol.
He had soon deviated away from the evening box, and into the sandwich-box. Also, he was mumbling the names of the items of medication. He didn’t find the ferrous sulphate.
Our phone-call ended at 20:30.

At 21:12, when I phoned to sign off for the evening, the Old Man sounded alert again.

[Original posting 2 July 2011]

This entry was posted in Rewritten and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.